Tuesday, January 8, 2019

20/9/2018




EXPERIMENTS


Today I will be spending my time looking into drum patterns that fit into the blues genre, conducting some mild experiments in logic, as well as creating some of my own little riffs and phrases to get an idea of how I want my track to sound. Blues has a variety of drum patterns that can be used, so I thought I might listen to a few songs and get an idea of how I want mine to sound. I know that I can never do blues music justice, and I want to interpret it in my own way and style, however, still keeping the key factors of blues music inside the track. Blues has always been about a funky upbeat drum rhythm, a groovy guitar and some soulful lyrics, as well as adding harmonicas, electric guitars and basses, backing vocals and even saxophones have been frequently used to add extra layers to the songs. My intention with this project is to have bass, guitar (electroacoustic), male and female vocals, and simple, yet effective drums to accompany. 

Blues music hasn't ever disappeared, it has just evolved, people have created their own styles within the style itself, added their own interpretations of how they see and hear the blues, as well as keeping its spirit alive in music today, I chose to do blues for my project because I love the sounds that can be created, as well as the emotions that can be felt when playing, or listening to it. 

Below is a very short idea for how I would like drums to potentially be sounding on my track. Obviously this is very very rough, an just an example, it is something I will be looking into with a lot more detail. 

SO in the following weeks until half term, which is around 4, I will be getting all of my plans together, organising dates to be using the studio as well as writing the full track, I will be meeting externally with the musician I'm working with and practicing what we can come up with, prepping us for the studio, to get as smoother run-through as possible. 







Below is a riff I've written that I'm really enjoying, the piano is just to accompany at this moment in time, but I like it and I think this will be what I am going to work with. It will be extended and written in more depth, also different instrumentation, I will be getting a musician in to play, one I can explain what I would like, they will be welcome to interpret it how they like to. I will also be writing lyrics to the track, I already have some ideas in my head as to how I would like it to sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment